Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bad News and an Idea

So...first, the bad news. Freckles died today. Well, four days...longest I've had a fish before it perished...luckily, my unnamed Betta still lives, so I have now officially kept a fish alive longer than ever before..and going strong...I think.

And, now, idea time. I had been toying with the idea of trying P90X for a little while, but don't have or want to shell out the money for it. Well, recently (yesterday) was given the DVDs for free. So now, I'm thinking that I should use the primal fitness laws and apply them to the P90X DVDs and use those for my workouts. What would this look like?

Well, first of all, the Ab Ripper X workout is thrown out the window. I'm sorry, but I believe that direct ab work is useless and pointless. Six packs come from diet, not crunches (and yes, I know there's more to Ab Ripper than crunches). And I am already doing something I don't believe 100% in by trading in my full body, compound lifts for isolated movements.

Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays would be strength training days. Just like the P90X program. Tuesdays and Saturdays will be 'cardio' days. Alternating between sprint sessions, the programs plyometrics and Kenpo X. Thursdays, in the program, are the day for the Yoga X. This is supposed to be harder than doing a regular yoga session. For this reason, I am going to do that DVD tonight or tomorrow and see how intense it is. If is that hard, I will drop it for a regular yoga session or just a plain rest day. I want two rest/easy/low level aerobic activity days a week versus the programs prescribed one. And of course, Sunday will be a rest/easy day. This will result in the X Stretch, Core Synergistics, and the Cardio X DVDs being dropped too, maybe.

What other changes will I make? Well, for starters, the DVDs are way to long. The strength training days are almost an hour long, including warmup. I dont want intense workouts to go past 30 minutes. Easy fix though. With the exception of the Shoulders and Arms DVD, all workouts are repeated. So, you do an entire workout, then you repeat the same workout. So, edit time, drop the second workout and turn up the intensity of the first.

I also wont be following their eating or supplement plans. Already going to be eating primally, and already got good, quality supplements. So yeah.

Only other thing to figure out is whether to follow their week by week plan or make a custom one. Any ideas out there?

And before any one gives me gripe about modifying a program, as Tony Horton says, 'Modify, modify, modify.'

No comments:

Post a Comment